December 2017 / Move-Out
- Residence halls and apartments close for the fall semester following the completion of final exams.
- All residents must vacate 24 hours after their last final OR by 10am on Thursday, December 21, 2017
- Residents who do not vacate by the deadline are subject to a $100.00 Late Check-out Fee. The fee will be assessed to the resident’s Student Account.
If you are returning to your same room/apartment in Spring 2018 you do not return your room key. Remember to take all essential items (medicines, passports, etc.) with you when you leave. Residents who do not vacate by the deadline are subject to a $100.0o Late Check-out Fee. The fee will be assessed to the resident’s Student Account. No one will be allowed access to their rooms until re-opening at 10am on January 10, 2017.
BEFORE YOU LEAVE - CLOSING CHECKLIST
- Inspections will occur before and/or during winter break. Fees for any damages observed will be will be assessed to your Student Account.
- Defrost and clean your refrigerator. Dispose of all perishable food. Unplug your personal refrigerator. DO NOT UNPLUG University provided refrigerators..
- Pack all necessary items you will need during break considering that you will not be permitted to return to your space until spring opening. A limited number of carts will be available at the RHOs.
- Unplug everything (except University-provided refrigerators), including mini-fridges, televisions, lamps, etc.
- Close and secure all windows and doors. Windows left open may cause pipes to freeze and burst, causing water damage.
- Turn heating units in your room/apartment to “medium,” or 60 degrees. DO NOT TURN OFF HEAT.
- Any Residential Living furniture (i.e. lounge furniture) found in student rooms during inspections will result in disciplinary sanctions.
- Take out all trash to avoid the spread of pests. Exterminators will be spraying every room, apartment and townhouse over the break.
- RHOs will "freeze" package delivery beginning Thursday, December 14, 2017. Please note that carriers will hold or return-to-sender packages received after that date. Since you will not be able to retrieve packages during the time the RHOs are closed, please be sure that medications and other essential items will arrive before Thursday, December 14, 2017.
- All packages remaining in the RHOs after 1pm on Tuesday, December 19, 2017 will be returned to their respective carrier. Be sure to pick up your packages before you leave for the winter break.
- Package deliveries will resume on Tuesday, January 9, 2018. Packages shipped to arrive prior to this date might be returned-to-sender by the carrier since the RHOs are closed.
Study Days/Finals/Closing RHO Hours:
- December 8-20 | 9am-9pm, Monday-Friday & 12pm-9pm, Saturday-Sunday
- December 21 | 9am - 12Noon
- RHOs reopen at 10 am on January 9, 2018
NOT RETURNING / SWITCHING ROOMS
- If you are not returning to campus for Spring 2018 (graduating, taking a leave of absence, transferring or withdrawing) you must submit a Housing Drop Form in The Office of Residential Living (Harbin 100, Monday-Thursday, 9am-6pm, Friday, 9am-5pm).
- All personal belongings must be removed and the space should be cleaned.
- Items left behind will be boxed by Residential Living at a rate of $100 per box. Boxing fees will be assessed to the resident’s Student Account.
- Return key to your designated RHO by 10 am Thursday, December 21. A receipt will be e-mailed to you. If you need to return your key while the RHO is closed, please place your key in an Express Check-out Envelope available at your RHO.
- Fill out the information requested and slide the envelope underneath the RHO’s door. The top part of the envelope is your receipt.
- Keys not returned to the RHO will be considered non-returned keys and subject to a $200 fee. Fees will be assessed to the resident’s Student Account.
- If you submitted a room change request for Spring 2018, it will be processed within a timely fashion. Spring assignments will be available in early December through Hoya Housing.
- Please be aware that you will not be able to decline the room offered.
- December 7: 24 hour quiet period begins at 10pm
- December 1: LLC application open on Hoya Housing.
- December 4: RA application open on Hoya Housing
- December 20: O’Donovan Dining Hall closes at 4:30 PM (Fall 2017 Meal Plan Ends).
- December 21: Residence halls & apartments close at 10am.
- January 9, 2018: Residence halls & apartments open at 10am. There are no early arrival options.
- January 10: Spring 2018 classes begin
- *University offices, including The Office of Residential Living, will be closed December 22, 2017 through January 1, 2018.
January 2018 / Move-In
Residence halls and apartments reopen at 10 AM on Tuesday, January 9, 2018. If you are a new student for spring semester (new student, returning from Study Abroad or Leave of Absence), please review the information on applying for spring housing here.
Move in carts are not available to be scheduled for use for spring move in but can be checked out from the RHOs for use.
Parking is not permitted near residential facilities during weekdays. Vehicles may be ticketed by the Office of Transportation Management. Vehicles should plan to park in the Southwest Garage. On weekend days, parking may be permitted near the residential facilities depending on what is occurring on campus. Vehicles should plan to park in a campus garage. If parked on the roads surrounding the buildings, someone should plan to remain with the vehicle who can move the vehicle if required.
May 2018 / Move-Out
- Non-graduating students must vacate residence halls, apartments and townhouses 24 hours after their last exam or by 12:00 PM (noon) on Sunday, May 13, 2018.
- Graduating seniors are required to move out by 12:00 PM (noon) on Monday, May 21, 2018.
Move Out Procedures
Students must leave campus 24 hours after their last exam or by 12pm (noon) on Sunday, May 13, 2018. Only graduating seniors and students approved for May Transition Housing may remain in campus housing past closing.
Vacating requires that you move out, remove all your belongings from your residence and community room, and return your key to your RHO.
Students who do not comply with regulations regarding the vacating of rooms will be subject to both of the following:
- Room occupancy and storage fees. Fees will be charged for belongings left with your roommate.
- Belongings will be moved out of the rooms and the student will assume full responsibility for any losses.
Prior to Move-out, students are responsible for the following:
- Remove all personal belongings from your residence; items left in rooms after closing will be donated or disposed of. The University assumes no liability for items left behind.
- All University furniture must be present, fully assembled, and in good condition, in order to avoid damage charges.
- Clean your residence, removing all personal belongings.
- Special cleaning charges begin at $50 for rooms, $175 for apartments, and $200 for townhouses. If you have a balcony, patio or backyard you are also responsible for cleaning that space. Do not leave University furniture outdoors.
- Remove tape, nails, tacks, posters, photos, and message boards from your walls and doors.
- Please dispose of trash and recyclables properly.
- Do not leave rugs or cinder blocks on the floor or lobby; the entire community would be fined for improper trash disposal.
- Remove bikes from University bike racks. Bikes left behind will be removed and donated.
- Residents of Darnall, Copley, New South, Harbin, McCarthy, Kennedy, Reynolds, LXR, and Village C must unbunk their beds and leave the pegs on one of the beds. In a room where beds must be bunked, leave them as is.
- Please remember to lock doors and close windows when you leave to avoid damage to your room, apartment, or townhouse after your departure. If you neglect to lock your doors and windows, you are responsible if damages are found or any furniture is missing during inspection.
Failure to complete these required tasks may result in charges being assessed to your student account.
Returning Your Key
- Students must return their room key to their RHO at move-out. Failure to return the key will result in a $200 charge. You must return the key assigned to you by Residential Living or you will be assessed a $100 charge. You can verify your accurate key code by calling (202) 687-4560 or visiting by the Office of Residential Living in Harbin 100.
- RHO hours will be limited during study days and finals.
- When the RHO is open: Your key will be checked against your resident record. You will receive your key receipt via your University e-mail account within 24 hours of check-out.
- When the RHO is closed: Return your key by filling-out an express check-out envelope at the RHO. Fill out all information on the form, tear off the receipt for your records, place the key in envelope, and place the envelope in the RHO’s dropbox.
- Do not leave your key with your roommate, RA, Community Director, or another Hoya.
- If we do not receive a key from you by May 25, 2018, you will be charged $200 for a lost key.
- If you take the key home with you, you can mail it the Office of Residential Living by Friday, May 25, 2018 in a padded envelope. Residential Living is not liable for envelopes received with no key inside due to poor packaging.
Please mail key to:
- To appeal a lost key charge, you will need to produce the receipt you received when you returned your key. The last day to appeal this charge is July 21, 2018. Send appeals to the Office of Residential Living with your name, room assignment, GOCard number, and a copy of your key receipt.
- Your RA or Community Director will perform a final inspection of your space after all residents have left.
- Once inspections are completed, all final damage/cleaning charges will be billed to your student account or deducted from your deposit (if you are a senior).
- Damage charges are assessed to student accounts.
- Damage appeals may be submitted through your Hoya Housing portal within sixty (60) days of the charge’s posting date.
Trash & Donating Items
- Dumpsters will be provided at the following locations:
- Harbin (on sidewalk adjacent to Davis Performing Arts Center)
- Village A (in Lauinger parking lot)
- Alumni Square & Townhouses (on N Street)
- Copley (the the building’s rear)
- Village C & New South (at Village C loading dock)
- LXR - Nevils (in Walsh Courtyard)
- McCarthy, Kennedy and Reynolds (on the corner of North Road and West Road, by the entrance to Cooper Field)
- Henle Village (at the northeast corner of the Leavey Center
- Darnall (at the building’s rear)
- Move Out Drive
- The annual Move-Out Drive is Georgetown’s end of the year contribution to our community and the environment.
- As students are cleaning out their room or apartment, they can donate their gently used items to local charities, helping support families in need in the Washington, DC area while also reducing the amount of waste going to landfills.
- 6 donation sites will be located around campus.
- Please visit the Move-Out Drive website for a map of the donation sites, hours of operation, and more details about our partnership with local DC charities.
Packing & Cart Reservations
- Packing Supplies - Shipping
- The Corp (Students of Georgetown, Inc.) offers summer storage to students. For information visit Corp Student Storage. Please keep in mind that cart availability and Corp Storage hours do not always coincide, plan your cart reservation accordingly.
- A few words of caution: There may be other vendors who offer to mail or store your boxes. Make sure the vendors you use are legitimate ones and keep a receipt for all monies paid and all belongings turned over. Know with whom you are working before making a commitment and keep their name and phone number until you return for the fall semester.
- U.S.P.S and UPS will accept parcel post packages weighing no more than 70 pounds. Please note that no carriers provide pick-up service at residence halls or apartments. You cannot arrange shipping through the RHO or Guard Desks.
- Cart Reservations
- Moving carts will be available for reservation via your Hoya Housing portal.
Cable TV & Mail Forwarding
- RCN Cable
- From May 1-21 you may return your RCN video equipment to your RHO during their operating hours (equipment should not be left when the RHO is closed).
- You may also return equipment to the RCN Payment center at 5756 Georgia Ave NW 20011 (Payment Center Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00am-6:00pm /Sat: 8:00am-2:00pm / Sun Closed).
- Make sure you request a receipt for your return!
- Please call (877)532-HOYA (4692) to disconnect your service. Only return your cable box, remote, and power cord please. We will not accept A/V, RCA, or HDMI cables.
- Without the return of all equipment and a request for disconnection, your account will continue to be billed.
- Mail and Packages
- Any First Class mail left behind in your mailbox will be forwarded to your home address. To update you address, see your MyAccess page. If you have questions about mail in the summer, contact Mail Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All packages for academic year residents that remain in the RHO will be returned to sender on May 31, 2018. Please advise your family and friends not to send any packages that would arrive after you move-out. Ensure that you have picked up all your packages before you leave for the summer.
May Transition & Pre Session Housing
Visit the Transition Housing page for complete information regarding May Transition & Pre-Session Housing.
Georgetown University is a pedestrian-friendly campus. For the safety of pedestrians and motorists alike, vehicular traffic in the core of campus is limited to service, construction and emergency vehicles. It will not be possible for you to park near your student’s residence on the main campus. The following parking locations available are listed below and can be viewed on this map.
Southwest Quad Garage (entry from Canal Road) is the primary guest parking area. This garage provides the best access to New South, Village C East & West, Harbin, Kennedy, McCarthy, and Reynolds. Free two-hour parking is available all day and evening. Let the attendant know that you on campus for move-out.
Leavey Garage (entry from Canal Road) provides the best access to Arrupe, Copley, Henle Village, and Darnall. Free two-hour parking is available May 7-21, 2018 in designated spots on the P2 Level. Spots are available from 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM, Monday-Friday and all-day on weekends.
Lot 9 (entry from Prospect Street) provides the best access to Village A. Free two-hour parking is available May 7-21, 2018. Spots are available Monday-Friday after 5:00 PM and all-day on weekends.
For students living in Alumni Square, Townhouses, Nevils, and LXR, legal street parking is available near those residences. These are city streets and not subject to the University’s jurisdiction.
Remember, it is not possible to park near your student’s residence on-campus. All drivers must obey posted signs and avoid parking in designated fire lanes and other reserved areas. The Office of Residential Living is not responsible for any ticketing or towing that may occur.
August 2018 / Move-In
- Residential communities, townhouses and apartments open on Sunday, August 26, 2018 for returning students. Students may pick up room keys from their designated RHO between 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM. Returning students must bring their GOCard to the RH in order to check-in
- If a returning student does not have a GOCard (lost, destroyed, etc.) they must go to the UIS Help Desk in the Bookstore prior to checking in.
- Returning students will not be issued keys or be allowed to check in between Thursday, August 23 and Saturday, August 25 as these are move-in days for new students only.
- There are a limited number of carts available for returning student move-in. Cart reservations are available August 10, 2018 via the Hoya Housing website. Reservation time slots are available from August 11 - August 23, 2018.
Summer Transition Housing
- Students who have stayed in summer/transition housing can find the check-in date to their academic year housing assignment on Hoya Housing.
- Temporary keys for academic year housing assignments should be picked up at that space’s designated RHO.
- Once they have moved-out of the summer housing assignment, students should return the key to the RHO for the summer assignment space to complete the check-out.
- Summer students should return to their designated academic year RHO. After turning in the temporary key, they will be checked in to their academic space.
Move-in Regulations and Policies
- Students with approval to move in early will have access to free 2-hour parking in the Southwest Quad Garage.
- Vehicular traffic and street parking is not permitted on campus and cars found in violation will be ticketed.
- If parking on D.C. streets, please obey posted parking signs and rules.
- After parking, students will proceed to their designated RHO to obtain their room key and check in.
- Students who are not approved to move-in early may be fined up to $200 for administrative costs associated with an early move-in.
August Transition Housing Information
|Request Submission Dates||Charge|
|Early August Move-in||7/2 - 7/11 @ NOON||$50/night|
|Departmental Sponsorship||7/2 - 8/22||$50/night|
|Late August Move-in||7/12 - 8/22||$75/night|
|After August 22||Email Residential Living||$100/night|
|Unauthorized Early Move-in||N/A||$200 fine + $100/night|
August Move-in Request through Hoya Housing Application (7/2-7/11)
- Returning students may request to move-in on Wednesday, August 22, 2018 after 12:00 PM EST.
- To request August Transition housing, apply via the Hoya Housing website.
- Application Open: 9:00 AM, July 2, 2018.
- Application Close: 12:00 PM, July 11, 2018.
LATE August Move-in Requests (7/12-8/22)
- To request August Transition housing after the Hoya Housing application closes, submit requests to email@example.com.
Students sponsored by a department may request to move in one day earlier than their department has requested. Sponsored students may not move-in earlier than August 12, 2018.
Requests Open: 9:00 AM, July 11, 2018 @ 12:00 PM.
Requests Close: 12:00 PM, August 22, 2018.
- Late August move-in requests are approved on a case-by-case basis.
- COST: $75 per night, charged to your student account.
- Late August Move-in Requests (After 8/22)
- To request August Transition housing after August 22, 2018, submit requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- COST: $100 per night, charged to your student account.
Unauthorized Early Move-in
- Students who arrive on campus without approval may not be accommodated until the approved move-in date.
- Students who move in but have not been approved will be charged a $200 fine.
- Students who have a roommate who is approved for August Transition cannot move in early unless they are also approved.
- Keys and GOCard access be declined until your approved move-in date.