Living Learning Communities
Living Learning Communities (LLCs) are residential communities where students are able to share and deepen their passions through social, educational, and reflective activities. These communities support Georgetown University’s focus on active and collaborative learning by extending discussions beyond the classroom, creating new opportunities for students and faculty to interact, and promoting the value of experiences which occur in residential spaces. At Georgetown, we have fourteen (14) Living Learning Communities where students can explore themes of academic interests, service learning, social justice and inclusion, inter-faith, and others.
The following are the overarching goals for all Living Learning Communities at Georgetown. These goals are used to provide direction and purpose for the program as a whole:
- Develop a sense of belonging among those participating in LLCs through intentional dialogue, informal interactions, and shared experiences.
- Facilitate opportunities for students to deepen understanding, discover new passions, and make meaning of each community’s specific theme.
- Provide a space for purposeful engagement amongst faculty/staff and students beyond the classroom.
Living Learning Communities for First Year Students
Living Learning Communities for Upperclass & Transfer Students
Application Process & Timeline
Each living learning community has an application process that will be completed through Hoya Housing. New and returning LLC applicants must complete their appropriate application to be considered a member of the LLC each year. Please refer to the timeline below for application deadlines and information regarding Group LLCs (Magis Row and The Spirit of Georgetown Residential Academy) and General LLCs:
Students needing medical housing accommodations must begin the process by emailing the Academic Resource Center (ARC) at email@example.com. Students who would like their medical accommodation to be considered with their LLC application MUST complete their medical accommodation application with the ARC by the pertinent LLC Deadline. For those applying to any group LLCs, which are Magis Row and The Spirit of Georgetown Residential Academy, the deadline is January 9, 2020, by NOON. For those applying to any other general LLC, the deadline is February 19, 2020, by NOON. More information can be reviewed under the Medical Accommodation section of the Housing Handbook.
Group LLC Application Timeline
- Wednesday, November 6, 2019 – Group LLC Applications Open: Magis Row and The Spirit of Georgetown Residential Academy
- Week of November 18, 2019 – Mandatory Group LLC Information Sessions
- Magis Row – 11/18/19 at 8pm; 11/20/19 at 7pm; 11/21/19 at 5:30pm (Location: Kennedy Multipurpose Room)
- Residential Academy – 11/18/19 at 7pm; 11/20/19 at 1:30pm; 11/23/19 at 11am (Location: Memorial Hall)
- Thursday, January 9, 2020 – Magis Row and Residential Academy Apps deadline
- Group LLC must submit Medical Housing Applications
- Wednesday, January 22, 2020 – Residential Academy Offers Sent
- Wednesday, January 22, 2020 – Magis Row Selection Day
- Friday, January 24, 2020 – Magis Row Offers Sent
- Friday, January 24, 2020 – Residential Academy Groups Responses Due
- Tuesday, January 28, 2020 – Magis Row Responses Due
- Monday, February 3, 2020 – Residential Academy Selection Day
General LLC Application Timeline
- Wednesday, January 29, 2020 – General LLC Applications Open
- Week of February 3, 2019 – General LLC Information Sessions
- 2/3/19 at 5pm; 2/4/19 at 7pm; 2/5/19 at 6pm (Location: Kennedy Multipurpose Room)
- Wednesday, February 19, 2020 – General LLC Application Deadline by NOON
- General LLC must submit Medical Housing applications
- Friday, February 28, 2020 – LLC Offers Sent
- Monday, March 2, 2020 – Students’ response to their offers due by NOON
Frequently Asked Questions
We do not guarantee spaces and we don’t hold spaces. We advise our students to be an engaged participant of the LLC and reapply to the community if that’s desired, and not reapply to the room. We do enjoy returner residents.
Every residential community offers single rooms. These rooms are assigned like every other residential space, based on students’ and occupancy needs. LLCs with single rooms are not exclusive to the LLCs.
Your future roommate can also apply to be a part of the LLC, however if they choose not to do so, then you will not have a choice to room with that individual. If you are both accepted to live in the community, you can request to live with one another. If your roommate choice is not accepted and you are and/or vise versa, then you will be able to choose a roommate who was accepted into the LLC or be placed randomly based on compatibility.
After being accepted into a LLC, students will have the opportunity to find a roommate through CHARMS from within a list of students who were also accepted into the same LLC. Those students who do not choose their own roommate will be assigned to live with another accepted student based on compatibility.
We believe that learning occurs within every residential community. The additional experience provided by a Living Learning Communities is to reside with a community that possesses a shared interest, and having the opportunity to further explore that interest through experiential and academic programming as well as collaboration between campus partners.
A list of questions asked can be found on the Living Learning Community Application Question page.
For any further questions about LLCs here at Georgetown, please feel free to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.