The Office of Residential Living is committed to creating a vibrant residential community for students. As a member of the Georgetown residential community, you are expected to make yourself familiar with and abide by all University policies and procedures. In addition to those enumerated in the Code of Student Conduct and Housing Occupancy Agreement, you should familiarize yourself with the policies listed here.

Hot pots and coffee/tea makers with self-contained heating units are the only types of cooking appliances permitted in any residence hall. Both the appliance and the cord must be UL approved. Other appliances may be used only in the full size kitchens located in floor lounges or in student apartments.

Refrigerators meeting certain criteria are permitted in all buildings. All refrigerators must be portable and no larger than 3.2 cubic feet. Both the unit and the cord must be UL, CSA or CPSC approved.

Georgetown University partners with My Fridge Rentals to offer microfridge rental opportunities for the academic year in the following buildings: Ryan & Hawkins, Kennedy, LXR, McCarthy, Reynolds (select floors), Village C East, and Village C West. Microfridges are provided in all first year rooms at no cost to the residents by Georgetown University.

Students are encouraged to bring bicycles to campus. Outdoor bike racks are located throughout campus but students must provide their own locks. Bicycles should not be locked to railings, lampposts, or parked on safety ramps. Students cannot leave bicycles in hallways, stairwells or community rooms within residence halls. Students may store their bicycles in their room/apartment with their roommate(s) approval.

The Georgetown University Police Department offers a bicycle registration service.

Upon taking occupancy of a campus residence, students have direct access to their room, apartment or townhouse during the dates posted in the Housing Occupancy Agreement. Students have access to other residence halls from 9 AM to midnight. Between midnight and 9 AM, non-residents must be escorted by a resident of the residential complex.

Residence halls and apartments close for the Winter Break. Residents may remain in University housing during all other breaks. All residents, regardless of location must vacate campus residences by the posted closing date and time. The one exception are townhouse residents who do not need to vacate their residence during Winter Break if they are returning for the spring semester.

At the end of the spring semester and prior to the start of the fall semester, The Office of Residential Living offers Transition Housing. The student is responsible for applying for this opportunity by posted deadlines. A nightly fee is charged to the student’s account. Transition Housing is not guaranteed, but offered based on space availability and dates requested. Students approved for this option will be placed in temporary housing during these periods.

Unauthorized access to any campus building is subject to adjudication through the Student Code of Conduct.

Vacuum cleaners are loaned to students at the Harbin Key Room. Students who do not return the equipment in specified time frame are charged a late fee. Full replacement costs for non-returned items are charged to the student’s account.

No remodeling of rooms, apartments, and townhouses or their furnishings is permitted. Lofts, hammocks, or shelving may not be installed. Furniture may only be used in its intended manner and not reversed, flipped, unbolted, or removed from the room; even if the occupancy of the room is less than the capacity designated. Residents are responsible to keep all furniture in their room or apartment. No item may be removed or placed elsewhere in the community. Removal of room/apartment furniture can be subject to adjudication through the Code of Student Conduct.

All residences are fully furnished. Students may not remove furniture or replace University-owned furniture with their own. Each student is provided with a twin bed & twin extra-long mattress, desk, desk chair, dresser, and closet. Students living in apartments are also provided with a sofa, armchair, end table, coffee table/ottoman, dining table, and four dining chairs.

Furniture in common areas cannot be removed from that space or used in student residences. Students will be assessed community damages for damaged or missing furniture. Individuals who remove common area furniture can be assessed a fine for removing furniture. Additionally, removing common area furniture can be subject to adjudication through the Code of Student Conduct.

Furniture cannot be taken outside the residence or used as lawn furniture. Students will be charged for damaged and missing furniture. Requests for repairs or replacement can be done by submitting a work request.

Students are not permitted to loft their beds. Most beds are bunk-able. Bunking pegs, ladders, and safety rails can be picked up from the Residence Hall Office. Depending on the style of bed, bed rails may not fit; a work request should be submitted in these cases to obtain the proper bed rail.

All students are issued University identification known as GOCard. GOCard is used to show proof of enrollment and to aid University security. A GOCard is required to access all residential buildings, to use the University shuttle buses, to use the libraries, recreational facilities, etc. Students must present their GOCard identification to University staff upon request.

In addition to functioning as an ID, the GOCard serves as a debit card that may be used at the dining hall and other campus eateries, vending machines, laundry and select off-campus retailers. Each student’s GOCard is for their exclusive use. Sharing or otherwise transferring any University identification card is prohibited. Visit the GOCard website for more information on how to manage the multi-use GOCard.

Community grills can be found in Alumni Square Courtyard, LXR Courtyard, Henle Village, Ida Ryan & Isaac Hawkins Courtyard, Arrupe, Southwest Quad Courtyard and Village A.

The right of a student to live in reasonable privacy takes precedence over the right of a roommate to entertain a guest in the room. In determining when guests should be invited to the room, common sense and mutual respect should prevail. Student rooms are for use by the Georgetown University student assigned to that room and may not be used by other students or by those who are not members of the University community without the prior approval of all of the assigned students.

Visitors to a Georgetown University residential building must have a host who is a resident of that building, present identification. While a non-Georgetown guest is present anywhere on University-owned property, the student host is responsible for the behaviors of the guest. Guests are expected to abide by all Georgetown University rules and regulations.

Guests are not permitted to stay overnight unless accompanied by a designated host and can stay for a maximum of 3 days. Guests may not stay in unoccupied beds without the consent of the student whose bed is to be used. No one may sleep in University common rooms.

Students are prohibited from transferring their room/apartment/townhouse/suite, allowing another person to occupy the space or sublet the space, including via room share/home sharing websites.

Want to bring guests to campus who are under the age of 18? The parent/guardian must fill out a minor guest permission form and review our Minor Guest Policy.

Minor Guest Provisions

Under the age of 16: Guests under the age of 16 are not permitted in university-owned student housing at any time unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. 

16 or 17 years old:  Guests who are 16 or 17 years of age are permitted to enter University-owned student housing with a signed Minor Guest Permission Form from a legal parent or guardian.  Minor guests may not stay for more than three (3) consecutive nights on campus.

The following specifications have been issued by the University Environmental Health & Safety unit:


  • Electric light bulbs shall not be decorated with paper or other combustible materials unless such materials have first been rendered flameproof.
  • Decorative materials should be placed in areas that permit free use of all means of exits, clear vision of exit signs, and easy access to fire suppression equipment.
  • Do not pin electrical decorations on the wall with tacks or nails.  This could damage the electrical cord and lead to a fire hazard.  
  • All lighting and electronics must be UL, CSA, CPSC approved.

Christmas Trees

Live trees are not permitted in residence halls, apartments or townhouses.  Artificial Christmas trees are permitted; students must adhere to the following policies regarding decorating artificial trees:

  • Trees shall not block any exit in any hallways, or be placed near any stairway or elevator.  Artificial trees are to be secured against falling; only wire or metal braces are to be used to secure the tree.
  • Artificial trees are to be placed at least five feet from stoves, radiators, and other heat sources.  The public should be restricted from the immediate area in which the tree is located–if public is not restricted; NO SMOKING signs shall be posted in the vicinity of the tree.
  • No flammable decorations are to be placed on or under artificial Christmas trees.  If cotton or paper is used, it shall be of the fireproof type.
  • If electric trains are placed under the trees, the use of metal icicles is prohibited.
  • Electric wiring shall not be used on metallic Christmas trees.  This type of tree may be illuminated by spotlights placed a safe distance away. 
  • If electric wiring is used on or under Christmas trees, the wiring must be UL, CSA, CPSC approved.  Defective, worn, or frayed electric wiring is prohibited. 
  • If trees are located in an area not under constant observation, all electric wiring shall be disconnected at the receptacle during the period of non-attendance.
  • As a reminder, the use of candles or other open flames in residential communities is strictly prohibited. 
  • All artificial Christmas trees and decorations shall be flame proofed to the satisfaction of the Department of Safety and Environmental Management Office.
  • Note: University Environmental Health & Safety can be contacted at 202-687-6913 to evaluate any situation where there are questions on compliance with any of these requirements.

Georgetown University requires all undergraduate students who are regularly admitted and in full-time attendance at the University live on campus during their first-year, sophomore and junior years, unless specifically exempted from the requirement by the Director of Residential Services or their designee. All students residing in on-campus housing are bound by the terms of the Housing Occupancy Agreement.

Junior students may opt to make their senior year their required year of housing using a swap option. Rising juniors need to complete this application for the swap option in the fall of their sophomore year. The Office of Residential Living staff determines, based on occupancy projections, the number of junior students allowed to use the swap option. Students granted the swap option are required to select housing or will be assigned housing during their senior year. Students approved to swap their junior for senior year are not eligible for an exemption from the residency requirement. Students approved to attend part-time, including seniors fulfilling their third year residency requirement, are still required to live on campus.

Juniors studying abroad may count the semester(s) toward the requirement. Sophomore transfers are required to live on campus two years, while junior transfer students are required to live on campus for their junior year. Transfer students who meet the posted criteria, may apply for a Residency Exemption.

Exemption is only granted to students who meet one of the following criteria:

  1. The student’s local, permanent residence is with parents, legal guardian, or immediate family (grandparent, adult aunt or uncle, brother or sister age 21 or older) who live within commuting distance of the University, provided that the requirement to live on campus does not apply to both parties concerned.
    • The family member with whom the student is requesting to reside must provide a) notarized statement verifying the relationship to the student, b) proof that the family member is age 21 or older, and c) copy of the family members ID that matches the local, permanent address listed on the notarized statement.
    • The statement must indicate the local, permanent address of the family member and state that the student will reside with them at this address.
      • Residence in a house or apartment which is owned or leased but not occupied by family members does not qualify for an exemption from the housing requirement.
  2. Attainment of age 22 by the start of the fall term.  Proof of age must accompany the exemption request form.
  3. Student is currently married. Official copy of marriage certificate must accompany the exemption request form.
  4. Student’s dependent(s) resides with the student. Official copy(s) of birth certificate(s) and Federal Income Tax returns showing exemptions claimed for dependent(s) must accompany the exemption request form.

Students are issued one key to their residence at move-in. Students are responsible for the key issued to them, and for keeping their residential space locked. Students may not duplicate the key or give the key to another person. Students must return the key to the Office of Residential Living at the time of departure from the room or campus. Failure to return a key at move-out or as a result of a room change results in a $200 non-returned key fee

Lost Keys

Students are responsible for reporting and paying for lost keys. To report a lost key, students submit a request in Hoya Housing. A temporary key is issued while the lock change is being processed. The temporary key needs to be picked up by the student in the Harbin Key Room, Harbin Hall 104.

A student who has misplaced a key has the option to request a 24-hour loaner key from the Harbin Key Room. The student has until 5 PM the next business day to both show their assigned room key and return the loaner key to the Harbin Key Room or request a lock change. If the student does not return the room key, Residential Living staff processes a lock change. Lock change fees will be assessed to the student’s account.

Lock change fees include parts (the core and the number of keys that need to be cut) and labor charges assessed when the lock change request has been processed. Students who request a lock change will be assessed the following charge on their student account:

  • Residence Halls $100
  • Apartment/Townhouses $150

A lock change cancellation request can be made by showing the student’s assigned key and submitting a form to the Office of Residential Living Staff in Harbin 100. If the Lock Shop has not begun processing the request, the request will be cancelled and the lock change fee will be refunded via student account.

Lockout Assistance

Students who are locked out of their rooms should go to the Harbin Key Room to gain re-entry. If the Harbin Key Room is closed, students should contact GUPD. The lockout fee is $10.00 after hours. Residents must present their Georgetown I.D. and show staff their key upon entering their room. Failure to do so results in notifying the Harbin Key Room, a possible lock change request, and an additional fee. Fees may be paid by GOCard and will be assessed to their student account

Laundry rooms are located in all residential areas. The washing machines are high efficiency and managed by our third party partner, Caldwell & Gregory.

Laundry maintenance issue? Report it

  1. Call: 800.927.9274
  2. Email: service@caldwellandgregory.com
  3. Scan the QR code located on the machine that is not working
  4. Website: caldwellandgregory.com/service-requests

Caldwell & Gregory also manage all refunds. You can fill out a request here.

Students living in townhouses have University provided washers and dryers and can notify Facilities Management of any maintenance issues by submitting a work request.

Of-age students residing in Henle Village, Village A, Alumni Square and LXR/Nevils may host small, informal gatherings with alcohol at the designated grilling areas. Small information gatherings are distinctly different than parties and must abide by the following policies:

  • This policy applies to the grilling areas in Henle Village, Village A, Alumni Square and LXR/Nevils only
  • Informal gatherings may not exceed 15 people
  • Underage students may be present but may not consume alcohol
  • Wine and beer are permitted. No hard alcohol may be consumed in outdoor areas
  • No glass bottles, kegs or other alcohol paraphernalia are permitted in the small gathering spaces
  • Amplified sound must end at the start of quiet hours [10 PM Sunday – Thursday, 12 AM (Midnight) Friday & Saturday].
  • Students are encouraged, but not required, to notify the RA on Duty of their plans to gather in a grilling area with alcohol
  • If outdoor gatherings become too large or too loud and disrupt surrounding apartments, they will be asked to disperse or moved inside

Students may not paint their room/apartment. If a student believes that painting is necessary, they submit a work request through the Archibus system and request painting to be done in their space. Facilities staff determines if painting is necessary. If painting is required due to vandalism or misuse, the student(s) responsible incur the cost of painting.

Undergraduate students are prohibited from parking vehicles on campus and/or on residential streets in Georgetown, Burleith, and Foxhall.

Pets, including fish, are not permitted in residence halls, apartments or townhouses. Visitors to campus may not bring pets into any campus building. Students found in violation of this policy will be financially responsible for any damages and cleaning associated with the pet.

The following items are prohibited in student rooms and apartments for reasons of health and safety:

  • Extension cords, multiple outlet plugs. Only UL, CSA or CPSC approved surge protector power strips with an internal circuit breaker are permitted.
  • Space heaters
  • Storing and/or charging any micro-mobility device with a lithium-ion battery, including but limited to: electric scooters, bikes, hoverboards,
  • Pets and other animals including fish
  • Explosives, weapons, firecrackers
  • Electrical cooking appliances (except as noted in the appliance section)
  • Kerosene lamps
  • Drug contraband
  • Candles and/or incense
  • Gasoline-powered bikes (mopeds, motorcycles)
  • Halogen lamps
  • Lofts
  • Grills/hibachis (Grills are provided for use by students in designated areas of campus. Grills and hibachis may not be used in stairwells, on walkways, terraces or rooftops, including the Village A decks.)
  • Waterbeds
  • Hot tubs
  • Satellite dishes

Georgetown University does not insure the student’s personal property against loss or damage resulting from any cause including, though not limited to, fire, water, vandalism and/or theft. It is each individual’s responsibility to obtain renter’s insurance for their personal property. Students may have coverage under their parents’ policy so it is advisable to check with them to determine if coverage is available. Students may also look into obtaining coverage through National Student Services, Inc. Learn more about their College Student Personal Property Insurance.

Students wishing to make a claim against the University must contact the Office of Risk Management.

Printed Advertisements

  1. Ads must be either 8.5”x11” or 11”x17”. No half or quarter sheets may be distributed.
  2. Ads may only be posted at designated locations. These locations are clearly marked.
  3. Only ONE ad per posting area. Additional ads are removed and discarded.
  4. Ads are removed and discarded once the event date has passed
  5. Ads posted outside of designated areas are removed & discarded regardless of event date.
  6. Ads cannot be posted on doors, windows, entryways, in stairwells, and/or in elevators in any case. All ads posted in these locations will be removed and discarded.
  7. Only members of the Georgetown University community may place ads in posting areas. 

Door-to-Door Advertising

The Office of Residential Living does not allow materials to be distributed door-to-door in any residential community, nor does it allow for door-to-door solicitation. If you wish to distribute materials inside the residential communities, email residentialliving@georgetown.edu to determine the next steps in the process. 

Collection Bins & Drives

While we support the good works of our students, the Office of Residential Living does not generally allow collection bins and drives. Student groups with access to benefits must work with their Residential Living staff (Community Director of the specific area) to receive approval to advertise a collection time and location. If approved, the organization is required to be there during the collection time and remove all collected items with them at the conclusion of the event.

All residence halls and apartment areas have daily quiet hours that are enforced between 10:00 PM and 9:00 AM on nights preceding undergraduate class days and between 12:00 AM (midnight) and 9:00 AM on other nights.

Students are encouraged to decorate their rooms by hanging pictures, posters etc. We ask students not put holes in walls. Students are not permitted to paint their rooms/apartments. Any damage to walls will be assessed during the damage process at move out.

Window Banner Policy

No items may be hung on the outside of any window of a university-owned residential facility, including student room and apartment windows. This includes, but is not limited to, banners, flags, clothing, shoes, satellite dishes, athletic equipment, etc. Students responsible for a breach of this policy may be subject to disciplinary action.

Items hung within a student residence, that can be clearly viewed from the outside, must comply with the guidelines of the University Speech and Expression Policy.

All students are assessed a $200 Housing Deposit annually. Students are refunded the deposit minus damages and/or keys not returned to the Office of Residential Living within 45 days the end of the academic year. Refunds are credited back to the student’s account.

For the safety of other students and to prevent damages, sports are not permitted in hallways and common spaces of residence halls and apartments. This includes, but is not limited to throwing balls, running, etc. For safety, running and ball playing is not permitted on the Harbin Patio.

The University does not provide storage during breaks or while students are abroad. Students may contact local storage companies or Corp Storage. Students who wish to use a storage pod must contact the Office of Transportation Management, (202) 687-4372, for approval prior to the unit being delivered.

Students are responsible for trash and recycling removal from their residence. Trash and recyclables should be taken to residential trash rooms located within the residence hall or apartment/townhouse area. Trash should not be left in hallways or outside of apartments or townhouses. Poor trash management is a health hazard and attracts rodents.

Specially designated recycling bins are located throughout each residence hall and apartment complex to collect paper, glass, plastic and cans. Failure to comply with the program or destruction of the containers results in fines and/or disciplinary action.

Townhouse Trash & Recycling Policies

Students living in University owned townhouses are required to take their trash and recycling to designated trash areas.  Townhouse residents are not permitted to put trash out for District of Columbia pick-up. Designated trash locations can be found in the alley behind the 1400 Block of 36th St, the parking area behind Wisey’s on 36th St, the parking area behind 1789 on Prospect and the Alumni Square courtyard.  Locations can be seen on this map

Facilities staff pick up trash and recycling from these sites daily. If trash areas are overfilled, call Facilities at (202) 687-3432.  Close the lids on all receptacles tightly and do not leave trash on the ground.  Doing so is a violation of the Code of Student Conduct and sanctions will be assigned. 

Trash and recycling should be taken to these locations regularly.  Trash and recycling should not be allowed to accumulate in backyards or townhouses.  This creates unsanitary conditions and attracts insects and rodents.  The University considers compliance with the District regulations regarding the mishandling of garbage and trash to be of significance.  Failure to adhere to the guidelines is a violation of your Housing Occupancy Agreement and the District’s Department of Public Works regulations. Offenders will be subject to a minimum charge of $50.00 for any garbage that is removed by Georgetown University staff.  In addition, you may receive fines imposed by the District of Columbia for garbage violations.  The Office of Residential Living pays these fines and charges the costs to your student accounts.

The Office of Residential Living supports the efforts of student organizations to educate residential students on the importance of voting. As such, Residential Living works in partnerships with student organizations to carefully and thoughtfully coordinate voter registration drives in the residence halls. As door-to-door solicitation is generally prohibited in the residence halls, Residential Living has set the following guidelines, in partnership with the Center for Student Engagement to ensure that this process is conducted smoothly and appropriately:


  • All voter registration efforts must be conducted in a non-partisan manner.
  • Participating organizations and their volunteers may not pressure or otherwise coerce students to register to vote. Once a student has declined to participate, they shall not be approached or contacted again.
  • A schedule of volunteers must be submitted to the Associate Director of Residential Living one week prior to the first hall visit. The schedule must include the names of all student volunteers as well as the times/days they will be in each of the residence halls.
  • All volunteers must wear a name badge indicating they are a part of the voter registration drive. The purchasing of name badges is the sole responsibility of the sponsoring organization and are not provided by the Office of Residential Living
  • Volunteers should not wear or present information that would distract from the non-partisan spirit of the initiative.
  • The participating student organization(s) must provide Residential Living staff with the name and contact information for a faculty/staff advisor who will serve as the point-person for any complaints.
  • Participating organizations may only enter the residence halls on two occasions during a voter registration period:
    • Once to distribute voter registration forms, and
    • To distribute absentee ballots
  • Annual approval to conduct a voter registration drive must be given by the Associate Director of Residential Living before the event may occur.